Sunday, May 11, 2014

A633.7.3.RB_RuggerioSteven

Leadership: The Inner Voice of Change


Dan Cathy (2011) said, “Being a leader means being able to help others discover and then live out their potential by inspiring them to seek it every day” (p. 27).  Inspiration must be accompanied by practical application.  My passion to inspire followers flows from one of my core principles of leadership: Continuous growth.
            My life and leadership are anchored in the belief that I must maintain a state of learning and intellectual exploration.  Obolensky’s (2010) survey/test of my leadership in light of his Telling, Selling, Involve, and Devolve matrix highlighted two areas of potential improvement.
            First, the test determined that I currently lead from an Involve/Sell perspective in which it is harder for me to “let go and allow follower’s room for growth,” and secondly, I may be “working harder than necessary.”  Delegating was a difficult challenge for me early in my leadership.  Over the years it has become easier although it rears its ugly head at time.  By establishing trusting relationships, I have been able to delegate more often and in the process, avoid micromanaging. Moreover, the survey identified that I may also be using too direct of an approach in my leadership.  
            Operating from a place of continuous growth and improvement, these insights have helped me create an atmosphere where followers can lead and grow along with me. I’ve found that one of my greatest achievements is sharing in the successful maturation and development of those that I lead.  Watching younger men and women take the initiative and demonstrate courage in leadership has become the most satisfying aspect of leadership.

Has your thinking changed over the course of the past six weeks, if so; why, and, if not; why?

            The Strategic Leadership course and Obolensky’s Complex Adaptive Leadership have equipped me with the tools necessary to face and direct complex situations.  In the military, complexity is ubiquitous.  Traditionally, leaders were taught to understand the intricacies of each situation, to understand the enemy, and to lead with directness—believing the mission must always come first.  However, the military has changed, warfare and strategy has changed, and I have changed. 
            This course has caused me to look at every situation and realize there will be uncontrollable dynamics hidden within each one.  With countless leadership books in my office, Obolensky’s desire to “build on and not replace” them has equipped me to integrate his teachings into the writings of other great authors like Kouzes, Posner, Heifetz, Godin, Maxwell, Collins, and Kellerman.  Obolensky (2010) said, “Complex Adaptive Leadership is not about throwing away traditional leadership wisdom.  It is about challenging the underlying assumptions of leadership and seeing leadership in a different way, which means letting go (but not necessarily abandoning) some long held beliefs” (p. xiv).
            This course and assignments have pushed me to implement new interpersonal strategies, pause before acting, and release control to both the situation and the people.  With these tactics, I’ve been educated in the potential of people and the power of the process.

What is the significance of this in the context of your future leadership goals and objectives?

            In an article titled, Change Starts at 4 A.M., Tim Willard (2011) said, “As leaders, we are often pressured to stay ahead of the pack.  In order to do so we set out to be razor sharp.  We seek to grow our influence; we pride ourselves in our professional acumen and our ability to see beyond the status quo.  And, in the right order and context, these things are fine” (p. 97).  Recognizing the value and power of change, Tim continued and added, “But if we truly desire to be a voice of change, industry standard is not enough.  As we peer into the rich concept of change we come face to face with a definition of leadership that will, if we let it, change us” (p. 97).
This class, the discussions, Obolensky’s text, and the assignments have all impacted my definition and understanding of leadership.  But, the greatest change and the deepest challenge came as I sat alone and reflected upon my life and my leadership.  Am I making a difference?  Are people better because of me?  Are my motives clear, and more importantly, pure?  Have I become a better employee, pastor, husband, father, and friend?  These are the true metrics.  Like Willard said above, industry standards and bottom line profits cannot be the sole litmus test of our effectiveness as leaders.  The true test is, “Have I helped others become better?”  I believe I have.
My present and future leadership and influence will be determined not only by the immediate result but the long term—and sometimes painstakingly slow—changing of those whom have allowed me access to influence.  This course has helped me become a guide: One that is confident in complexity and adaptive in attitude.

Steve
Cathy, D. (2011). Chick-Fil-A Leadercast Journal. Voices of Change, 1-134.
Obolensky, N. (2010). Complex adaptive leadership. Burlington, VT: Gower Publishing.
Willard, T. (2011). Chick-Fil-A Leadercast Journal. Voices of Change, 1-134.

No comments:

Post a Comment